Welcome to BlueGoldSports Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Big 12 Appears To Be Headed For Expansion, Ccg

WVU WVU Football Big 12

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
Michael Walker
  • Members
  • 701 posts
  • Elite
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Last active: Dec 22 2017 03:19 PM

Now that the Big 12 meetings are over for the athletic directors and head coaches, there appears to be a consensus that the conference must expand and have a CCG in order to have more than a 62% chance of reaching the playoffs in a given year. 

62% may sound pretty acceptable until you realize it is the lowest of all of the power five conferences. A  ten to fifteen percent increase in the odds would be very substantial. Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports was at the meetings and is convinced that Cincinnati and Central Florida will become new additions to the conference.

Florida and Ohio have a lot of TV sets and any new members would likely receive Big 12 revenue on an incremental basis much like WVU and TCU.  Of course the school presidents and chancellors have the final say and will be meeting late this month and early June to debate the data received by the ADs and make any decisions. 

In my humble opinion, if you look closely at the wall there is indeed handwriting on it.

BGS contributor and editor

Mountaineer Customs
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia
  • Last active: May 06 2016 08:30 AM

I think the thing that is really handcuffing this whole situation is the Longhorn Network.  The Big 12 needs its own Network much like the SEC and Big10 have.  The problem is that Texas is making an additional 15 million a year from their network.  I don't see them giving that up, and I don't see how a Big 12 Network can be made without Texas.

With that said, I'd love to add a Florida team and get a big 12 presence in the SouthEast .  I think we would all love to see the best "on the field" teams added, but I think in the end money will do the talking and the Big 12 will add the two teams that have the biggest TV markets.  (Houston and Memphis are both large, I imagine any Florida team would be good as well)

wvuenvy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Forum Veteran
  • Last active: May 16 2016 10:26 PM
I think we add the only national brand left, BYU, for football only & Cincy for all sports.

Michael Walker
  • Members
  • 701 posts
  • Elite
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Last active: Dec 22 2017 03:19 PM

Dodd was there, interviewing everyone he could including people involved in the studies. He seems convinced UC and UCF are the ones and that is a lot of TV sets, around 30 million. It's no secret that the LHN is struggling, as a primarily third tier entity. Yes, they own UT home games, but if Texas goes to UC or UCF,  ESPN owns the rights.

UT already owns the facilities that could be used for broadcasting a Big 12 network. Their share of the broadcast revenues along with leasing of the facilities to ESPN and FoxSports could keep them financially whole.

• Mountaineers4ever likes this

BGS contributor and editor

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WVU, WVU Football, Big 12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users