Welcome to BlueGoldSports Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Undervalued?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
Matt_Welch
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • PipPip
  • Last active: Sep 21 2017 08:22 AM

Hey guys, my name's Matt Welch, and for those of you who don't know me I took over the day-to-day operations for content here on BGS. Thank you all for reading. I'm going to start dumping some links here on the forum from our site to spark some discussion. Enjoy! 

Is WVU undervalued in the Big 12 media poll again? What do you think?

http://www.bluegolds...ervalued-again/

The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Jul 03 2018 04:08 AM

If they are undervalued, it's by a spot or two.  With the questions of depth on the line, unproven and inexperienced wide receivers and about every hole on defense to fill, there is no way anyone can justify ranking this team in the top 3 in the league.  Perhaps 4 or 5 but certainly not in the top 3.

• markd95 likes this

markd95
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Dec 13 2017 12:56 AM

I agree Sane, 4-5-6 could be interchanged.  WVU has limited returning starters especially on defense and offense line.  I think both will reload and be good.  WVU now has depth with good quality athletes at these areas.  The defense reloaded last year and were pretty good and I expect the same this year.  Same with offensive line barring further injuries.

Things I have noticed about Big 12 media and I'm sure I'm not alone.

* They don't consider players that missed last year with injury or other reason (Henry, last year Crawford) unless they are from Texas or Ok.  There is always exceptions made for players from these two schools.

* WVU is somewhat an outcast from the rest of the Big 12 due to familiarity the other Big 12  teams have with each other. This familiarity creates a favoritism.

* Some of the media  got burned by WVU in their 2nd year of Big 12.  We returned some great offensive players but no defense and no depth.  WVU was picked high and fell apart the 2nd half of the season due to no depth on defense.  (I think WVU graduated 7 players that year)

* WVU players get better reviews and consideration from national press than from the Big 12 press.  ie: Bosch, Askew-Henry, White(def), last year Douglas-Def. Player of Yr.. I could go on and on.

• BushwhackerCSA likes this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
  • Last active: Yesterday, 04:47 AM
IMO, not undervalued. I can see the potential for this team to have much success this season, BUT potential is a relative term. They should be rated by what we know, rather than what they could be and for a preseason pick middle of the pack is fair.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
The Big 12 has six of ten teams in the ESPN top 25 preseason power rankings with WVU at 25th.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Sep 03 2017 02:42 PM
This defense is within a proven NG of possibly being special from CBs to S to LBs. Not starting for WVU previously and not having game experience is two different things. As I have said ad nauseum, a defense's best friend is a good offense. This offense can keep the chains moving on anyone with short passes and a bevy of talented RBs. We are talking opinions here, pure speculation based upon our own analysis. I say WVU contends for the Big 12 championship again. It will be between them Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. JMHO which at this point is perfectly valid. Every team is still undefeated, but we will know a great deal about the potential of this team on September 4th.
  • Showmee and Mountaineers4ever like this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
I really do like that the Big 12 and the Mountaineer's are getting the attention but imagine the gauntlet that will be if the conference is actually that deep? Round robin and championship game.
If none of the Big 12 teams are ranked at the end of the season we can always just go to the old reliable cliche "the teams just beat up on each other". Sorry but I just cringe every time I hear that one from the SEC and others.
  • Harleymick likes this

The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Jul 03 2018 04:08 AM

Another interesting thread at the end of the year. WVU was picked 6th finished tired for 4th with 3 other teams. It seems the depth on the line and inexperienced WR corps did indeed hurt this team, as did a porous defense.

ChadMason
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Today, 02:35 AM

Looks like you were spot on with your analysis Sane.  Well called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users