Welcome to BlueGoldSports Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

15 Teams That Can Win It All According To One So-Called Expert.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Jul 03 2018 04:08 AM

15 teams that can win it all that includes 5 SEC teams, 3 Big 10 teams, 3 Big 12 teams, 2 ACC teams and 2 PAC 12 teams.  Realistically, it's just a few teams but they have to include teams like Wisconsin, Texas and LSU to drum up ratings. 

1. Alabama

2. Florida State

3. Penn State

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

6. Ohio State

7. LSU

8. Auburn

9. Clemson

10. Texas

11. Washington

12. Wisconsin

13. Georgia

14, Oklahoma State

15. Tennessee

http://newarena.com/...agram_organic_2

peelwvu
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2019 11:08 AM

You know. Just once I would like to see someone wait for Texas to actually do something before announcing them as being back.  Instead they are one of the top ten teams that could win a national championship.  Give me a break.  How about start with Texas could have what it takes to make the Carquest bowl this year.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
  • Last active: May 29 2019 07:55 PM
I'm just amazed they put out a preseason list without including N. Dame. They usually start in the top 10 until they leave no doubt that they don't belong while some schools have to prove they do.

The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite

I looked at a few top 25 teams and didn't see Notre Dame in any I looked at.  Texas on the other hand is in a few.  I don't necessary agree with the list above but if they do win 11 games and the Big 12 championship, they will get in the playoffs, thus theoretically, they can win it all.  There is no doubt that Charlie Strong rebuilt the program after purging the bad seeds Mack Brown brought in so Tom Herman is set up beautifully.  The question then is, can he continue the job Strong started. 

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
I'm not sure if it's more to my surprise or to my delight but I haven't seen ND on any top 25 list this year either.

I feel that you just never know about Texas. They have been down but not out and still have deep pockets and a furtile recruiting ground. All they need is a little momentum.

peelwvu
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2019 11:08 AM

I agree that Charlie Strong left Texas in a very good position but it seems like they and Notre Dame are always "Poised" to take the next step or have the talent to win it all and they fall flat on their faces.  You can only assume that they'll turn it around eventually.  I'm just saying how about we just wait until that happens before they get anointed.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
I agree with you about Texas but I probably just notice ND more because of how much I don't like them to begin with.
In the terms of "teams that have a chance" I am a little biased, but I feel WVU should be included. They can beat anyone on their schedule and while that may not be likely they do have a chance of doing this which would certainly put them in the playoff.

The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite

Tony Caridi puts out an email list every morning and on today's email, he linked to a story about revenue by schools in USA Today.  I noticed it because that is the basis for my other post and I believe comes into play here.   Fans don't like the Notre Dame's or Texas's of the world but the reality is, without those schools, WVU would not be making $110 million a year.  Without Texas and OU, the Big 12 is no better than the AAC and WVU is reduced to earning less than half of what they bring in, meaning that like Marshall, we would once again require substantial subsidization to cover the cost of the athletic department.  I agree that the media hypes those teams but they do so because of the money they make and the fact that they are a driving force in college athletics. 

As to your rationale regarding WVU, I don't disagree but then the same could be said of most power 5 schools.  If Michigan State runs the table, they're likely in.  Same thing for Pitt or UNC in the ACC, Kansas State or TCU in the Big 12, UCLA or Stanford in the PAC 12 or any team in the SEC.  I think the point with the teams on the list is the secondary teams that could be included, the teams on the list either A) have a really, really good chance of running the table (hence the inclusion of Wisconsin while Michigan is left out) or B)They're  a driving force in college football and will be included if they have the wins as Ohio State did last year or the wind up with 2 losses but win their conference. 

I think we all know that had OSU and PSU been flipped last year, OSU would have made the playoffs as the conference champion.  The same thing would happen with Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and most likely Notre Dame.  If they have 2 losses but win their conference (not including ND) then they likely get in the playoffs over a 1 loss team but that doesn't happen with WVU or the other teams I mentioned. 

• Showmee likes this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
All great points Sane. Personally, the only schools that I truly dislike are ND and Pitt but even my feelings towards Pitt are more of a "love to hate" than an actual dislike. Notre Dame on the other hand I dislike enough to check their score every game and smile if they lost.
I see them as a sort of a nepotism in the work place. An unfair opportunity given to them year after year because of their name. Spoiled, self entitled is how I see them.
My only argument (and I guess it's not really an argument because you never said that I shouldn't dislike them) nto your point that WVU could not see the revenue it receives without the ND's and Texas's of the world is that the ND's and Texas's of the world would not see such glamour without the passion of fans who either dislike them or cheer them on. It's no accident that the Ohio St vs Michigan game is regularly the highest rated game. I don't need to tell you how much those two schools despise one another any that's what makes it so competitive
You provide a unique administrative view point that not many of us get to witness but as a fan you can not have one without the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users