Welcome to BlueGoldSports Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Spring Game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
1olewvufan
  • Members
  • 289 posts
  • Last active: Aug 25 2017 02:10 PM
i watched the spring game.

I paid close attention to Grier and Chugunov, and I saw little difference. I felt Grier had a tad of an edge with his timing to the receivers. Other than that I felt these guys were very close.

I noticed some starters didn't play today.

I believe the defense, like last year, is much better than expected, and so is the OL.

I've seen predictions were WVU will only win 5-games in 2017. I see another 10 or possibly 11 win season. Oklahoma will be their toughest game.

I saw why the coaches are high on Long. I look for Bonamico to get in the line-up as well as Pitts. Battle looked good today.
Bush will burn some defenses this season.

My favorite play was Geno's TD pass to Gibson. That was fun to see.

BushwhackerCSA
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • Last active: Jul 19 2017 08:09 PM

Geno to Gibson,,that one gassed me..LOL..

1olewvufan
  • Members
  • 289 posts
  • Last active: Aug 25 2017 02:10 PM
I listened to the player & coaches interviews after the Spring Game. Everyone was up beat.

All the coaches believe they have more depth than they have ever had at any position since coming to WVU. Some players truly impressed the coaches.

The interview with Jake Spatival was the most interesting. He indicated that Sills will play both inside & outside receiver. When he was asked about Chugs at QB, he stated Chugs would be seeing the field and he had no problem putting him in a game. Both Grier & Chugs can extent plays, there is no issue here. I thing from what I've seen the biggest thing with Grier is he has the timing down with the receivers a little better than Chugs, and he is better at running the ball. Other than that, I think these 2 guys are pretty close in their skill sets. They looked pretty equal today. Chugs doesn't have moves or speed of Grier.

It is good to know WVU has a back-up QB they are comfortable enough to put in a game. The best thing for Chugs will be to get game experience. This will help him a lot.

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 447 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Today, 11:14 AM
Really? I apparently had different glasses on. I just left the game far less impressed with Chugs. Yes he was with the twos and yes he had far more snaps. But to say they are pretty much on par with each other. I just dont agree with that.
  • The Sane Hatter likes this

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Sep 03 2017 02:42 PM

This is the way I would put it. We can only judge their decisions and passing ability, some with players that will never see the field. Chugs can find the open receiver and deliver the ball accurately most of the time. With some real playing time throwing to the starters, he could be a pretty good pocket style QB. He could certainly get WVU through a period without Grier if needed and prepared.

Grier could be special. As his dad says, he's at his best when he is scrambling to extend plays or forced to tuck and run. The differences between good and great are hard to define, but you know it when you see it. I saw it Saturday 

• Wvu6901 and Showmee like this

ChadMason
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Today, 01:34 PM

chugs had 3 passes that the defense should be running sprints for not picking off.

Grier is another league from chugs.  Chugs can't see the field.

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 447 posts
  • Elite
Any word on why Saunders didnt get any spring game reps?
  • The Sane Hatter likes this

peelwvu
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Oct 20 2017 12:56 PM

I was wondering the same thing.  Surprised not to see him at all.

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 447 posts
  • Elite
Someone on a comment to an article reported he had a degenerative shoulder issue and was advised to quit throwing the ball and was going to switch to WR. I find that a bit far fetched as Holgy will usually announce a perm injury even with the new injury policy. Holgy said we had 20 kids not participate in the game and he had previously stated he had overthrown on a break and had a sore arm. I would imagine he is just injured and didnt play.

Although i was hoping maybe Jeremy on the boys had heard more details.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Sep 03 2017 02:42 PM

Someone on here said they saw Saunders throwing on the sidelines. 

• Wvu6901 likes this

peelwvu
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Oct 20 2017 12:56 PM

That's good news.  Although...we've been having pretty good luck lately converting QB's into receivers.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users