Welcome to BlueGoldSports Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Who Is Your Running Back Now, Coach?

WVU WVU Football Coach Dana Holgorsen

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic
Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Sep 03 2017 02:42 PM

Now that all three of the proven running backs are hobbled, who plays against Texas? Will WVU play the two least injured or burn Pettaway's redshirt? Wellman is not the answer.

markd95
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • Last active: Dec 13 2017 12:56 AM

I think it will take a lot to burn Pettaway's redshirt at this point.  Haven't heard injury report on the 3 backs that have been playing but I know Crawford and McCoy played pretty well.  Texas will be a lot tougher.  All three are good backs just different styles.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

I totally agree. But both Crawford and McKoy left the field in pain. It looked like they aggravated their previous injuries. If Crawford's heavily taped ankle hadn't slowed him down a step he doesn't get caught from behind on one of his long runs. At the goal line was the first time McKoy has been stopped for a loss in 34 carries, though in that play he had no chance. Those guys are very good playing through pain, when they're healthy they are special.

BushwhackerCSA
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • Last active: Jul 19 2017 08:09 PM

Shell should be back, hope Crawford and McKoy are okay too play also. Texas is going to be ready, their already chanting , If Oklahoma St. Can Do It So Can We , This is going to be a dog fight , Strong knows the 3-3-5 , and WV can not have turn overs. Harley if WV can slow down the Texas run , WV wins , No turn overs please !

• Harleymick likes this

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

Hopefully you're right, Bushwhacker. Coach said in today's presser that Shell will be a game day decision. If one of the three is a no go and another is hobbled, Pettaway is a nice ace to have in the hole. He won scout team offensive champion last week. Cornerback injuries are also a major concern right now. 

• BushwhackerCSA likes this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
  • Last active: Aug 05 2019 02:59 AM
After seeing Shell take a snap and grab his high ankle on Saturday. I'm afraid that he may not be back until bowl season.
I hope I am wrong but if not does he get drafted?
  • Jeremy Simon likes this

Jeremy Simon
  • Administrators
  • 913 posts
  • Administrator
  • Last active: Feb 18 2019 09:12 AM

Shell needs a big senior year for the NFL draft to become a reality I'm afraid. Do I think he will get a look as a free agent? Absolutely. 

Who do I believe will take the reigns the rest of the season? Kennedy McKoy

• BushwhackerCSA, wvurocky22 and Showmee like this

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Aug 21 2018 01:51 PM
Jeremy in your opinion, do they burn Pettaway's redshirt this late then? I feel mcKoy did great starting and the fact he looks so much like Smallwood did last year as a true freshman makes me giddy inside. But he was absent for part of the second half, I am assuming to catch his breathe. So will they burn the redhshirt to give him breathing room?

Qb runs don't have the surprise without a rb in the backfield. I fear Howard taking too many hits. He seemed noticably off last week after the head hit. I fear another Clint situation where he is playing through injury without telling staff. It is tough when you are a qb with no proven or really game time experienced back up. You cant take a week off like our rb' s,wr's, and cb's do.
  • BushwhackerCSA and Showmee like this

peelwvu
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2019 11:41 AM

If all three are hurt they almost have to burn Pettaways redshirt.  If one of them is ok to go I think Wellman could step in and be a change of pace.  I don't think he can carry the load himself though.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown

Shell needs a big senior year for the NFL draft to become a reality I'm afraid. Do I think he will get a look as a free agent? Absolutely.
Who do I believe will take the reigns the rest of the season? Kennedy McKoy

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
Didn't mean to re-quote so many times. My phone was screwing up...
Was just gonna add that I really hate it for Shell.
He was playing so we well before he got hurt.
I know he has a family and I hope that he makes it to the next level.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

Obviously Shell and Crawford both have an ankle problem. McKoy is special but cannot carry the load by himself. Wellman can get short yardage and block like crazy but Jeremy probably has more moves and speed. Look for a special surprise for Oklahoma again. Pettaway is dying to play and he is needed and ready. The only other realistic option I can see would be if Jovon Durante was a tailback in high school he might pull an imitation of Tavon to some extent. What else is there? 

• Showmee likes this

markd95
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member

If Shell or Crawford can't play I think they should put in Pettiway and forget about the Redshirt.  He will not be here for 4 more years.  I think he is a good back that will be on to the pros after 3.

• Bob and Harleymick like this

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

Excellent point. If he is good in practice and game ready you gotta play him. 

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

I guess the answer to the thread question would be Justin Crawford! He needs 70 yds to break 1000 for the year. He is still slightly hobbled, he was caught from behind twice or he scores both times.

• BushwhackerCSA likes this

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Elite
Agreed. Kid is special and a hell of a work eithic. But he has to hold onto the ball. Shell had trouble with it last year and is doing much better this hear,when playing. But Crawford two fumbles inside the ten two week in a row. I know we had many more costly mistakes in the game. But that turnover was another huge momentive killer early.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
I felt that Crawford separated himself from the other two backs some at the first part of the season. That was around the time of and including the KSU game. Almost every carry he made looked like he might take it all the way.
At that time, I posted that I believed Crawford would be named the starter. He was not but I understood that coach couldn't replace Shell's leadership.
Then Crawford was injured and Shell put together a string of games that were the most consistent of his career that was before also going down with an injury.
But it would be a mistake to talk RB's and not mention Kennedy McKoy. The true freshmen has been impressive with his speed and power.
You could make a case for any one of the three and I would probably just go with the healthiest one. But the latest performance by Crawford (despite the turnovers) adds to my belief that he gives us the best chance of winning.

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
Uhhh or maybe Martell Pettaway?
  • Jeremy Simon and Harleymick like this

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

Pettaway made me and a couple others here look very intuitive. It doesn't happen often, but I like it. At 5'10" and 205, he's built like Tavon was but only bigger. He's pretty fast too and obviously strong.

30 carries often fighting for more yardage without a fumble, that's a little refreshing. If they are all healthy for the bowl game, WOW!

• Showmee likes this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
Not to take anything away from this stable of backs but I'm starting think we might be under appreciating the run blocking of the o-line and receivers. + One Elijah Wellman
Reminds me of the old Denver Broncos minus the chop blocking. No matter who went down in the backfield the next guy had success.

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Elite
Our o line is def a great veteran o line for the most part. The receivers had an abnormal number of holding calls this week. But i agree they deserve credit prob why panky got offensive player of the week. The coaches notice. That is part of why i wonder how next year goes. We look to have several weapons back at wr and rb and greir at qb. But our o line will be very young.
  • Showmee likes this

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
The cupboard won't be completely bare especially if Yodney can make it back. Also, Marcell Lazard, Kyle Bosch, Colton Mckivitz, and Grant Lingafelter I believe all have eligibility remaining.
Matt Jones the current backup center was highly recruited and is either a freshmen or sophomore (not sure if he redshirted last season).
Plus Joe Wickline appears to have brought some Stanford with him.

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Elite
Yeah. It isnt scratch and due to injuries many have had some playing time. I just mean it wont be a proven line like this year. So we will just see how we look. We still have two games left. So no need to fret about next year until the off season. Lol

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
You are correct indeed. Still two games left to end this season out on a very good note.
Not having a signature win takes away some of that shine but I can and will celebrate 10-2.
I can't help myself though I have to do a little fretting about next season.
Should be getting some preseason love by then with Mr. Grier at the helm.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite

A signature win could still come in late December or early January. If they became 11-2 against a ranked opponent it adds a little more luster to a very good season. They would also end up ranked in or right at the top 10.  

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
I am glad that you posted this Michael. After re-reading my post I am concerned it may sound insensitive and unappreciative. That wasn't my intention.
This team didn't give in even when a lot of fans walked out on them. Skyler actions speak louder than his words as many a time he puts it all on the line for a TD or even a first down.
I will enjoy watching it for while I can.
  • Harleymick likes this

The Sane Hatter
  • Members
  • 665 posts
  • Elite
  • Last active: Jul 03 2018 04:08 AM

How big would Donte Thomas-Williams have been by mid-season.  It's a shame the staff couldn't keep him a member of the team.  Perhaps if DTW were still around WVU wouldn't have had to waste a redshirt on Pettaway, who I'm told would have likely been in the mix as a starter were he able to practice and play early in the season.  

Jeremy Simon
  • Administrators
  • 913 posts
  • Administrator

Donte-Thomas Williams would have been a huge help at this point in the season. However I don't think it was as much the staff as it was William's attitude that eventually made the parties part ways.

markd95
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member

Showme:  Crook was at Stanford not Wickline. 

The addition of Wickline has been a big help with the improved line play but I think Crook doesn't get the credit he deserves.  He handles the centers and guards which are the main reason for the good run blocking.  All three of the new running backs (Crawford, McCoy and Pettiway) are all excellent runners with each having a different style.  

Showmee
  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMorgantown
My mistake.Thanks Markd95. I see now Wickline was at Okie State, Texas, and Florida.

Jeremy Simon
  • Administrators
  • 913 posts
  • Administrator

We can revamp this thread just by rewording the title to Who's your running backs coach now?

• Showmee likes this

Wvu6901
  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Elite

We can revamp this thread just by rewording the title to Who's your running backs coach now?

Yes, I think that is appropriate.

Harleymick
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Elite
Good idea, but whoever it is there are 'Tres Amigos' ready to make him look very talented at coaching. All he really needs to do is say, "Y'all keep doin' that, and hold on to the damn ball!"
  • Wvu6901 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WVU, WVU Football, Coach Dana Holgorsen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users